Hiring! I'm currently looking for PhD students and a postdoc in the area of cyber-physical security. If you are interested, send me an email with your CV
- Honored to receive this teacher award from the Faculty of Science and Engineering
- I had the privilege to select best thesis award given by the East Sweden Computer Society.
- Our project Sustainable Energy with Adaptive Security (SEAS) has been granted by Vinnova.
- Our paper on UAVouch has been accepted to IEEE Access. Congratulations to Carlos!
- New online course in Cybersecurity (Swedish only).
- Presented work on automated exam generation and correction during the pedagogical day arranged at LiU.
- Happy to be part of the Jury in the final of the Swedish Young Scientist Exhibition!
- Organized an hour of code event at Quintek
- Gave a presentation during LiU lunch club on Ride the future.
- Popular science lecture on cybersecurity now on Youtube :-) (Swedish only)
- Our paper on remote attestation was accepted in ACM Transactionson Cyber-Physical Systems
Articles in journals, books, conferences and workshops2021
-  C.F. Emygdio de Melo, T. Dapper e Silva, F. Boeira, J.M. Stocchero, A. Vinel, M. Asplund, and E.P. de Freitas, UAVouch: A Secure Identity and Location Validation Scheme for UAV-networks, IEEE Access, 2021, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3087084
-  A. Rawat, M. Khodari, M. Asplund, and A. Gurtov, Decentralized Firmware Attestation for In-Vehicle Networks, ACM Transactionson Cyber-Physical Systems, 2020, doi: 10.1145/3418685
-  T. Sund, C. Lööf, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and M. Asplund, Blockchain-based Event Processing in Supply Chains - A Case Study at IKEA, Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing, 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.rcim.2020.101971
-  S. Bergman, M. Asplund, and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Permissioned Blockchains and Distributed Databases: A Performance Study, Concurrency and Computation, Practice and Experience, 2020. doi:10.1002/cpe.5227, A preprint version is available as PDF.
-  G. Grimsdal, P. Lundgren, C. Vestlund, F. Boeira, and M. Asplund, Can Microkernels Mitigate Microarchitectural Attacks?, in Secure IT Systems (A. Askarov, R. R. Hansen, and W. Rafnsson, eds.), Springer International Publishing, 2019. doi:10.1007/978-3-030-35055-0_15. Available as PDF.
-  F. Boeira, M. Asplund, and M. Barcellos, Decentralized Proof of Location in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks, Computer Communications, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.comcom.2019.07.024.
-  F. Strömbäck, L. Mannila, M. Asplund, and M. Kamkar, A Student's View of Concurrency - A Study of Common Mistakes in Introductory Courses on Concurrency, in Proceedings of the 2019 ACM Conference on International Computing Education Research (ICER), ACM, 2019. doi:10.1145/3291279.3339415.
-  M. Khodari, A. Rawat, A. Gurtov, and M. Asplund, Decentralized Firmware Attestation for In-Vehicle Networks, in 5th ACM Cyber-Physical System Security Workshop (CPSS), ACM, 2019. doi:10.1145/3327961.3329529. Available as PDF.
-  M. Asplund, Combining Detection and Verification for Secure Vehicular Cooperation Groups, ACM Transactions on Cyber-Physical Systems, 2019. doi:10.1145/3322129. Available as PDF.
-  F. Boeira, M. Asplund, and M. P. Barcellos, Mitigating Position Falsification Attacks in Vehicular Platooning, in Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC), IEEE, 2018. doi:10.1109/VNC.2018.8628427 Available as PDF
- S. Mohan, M. Asplund, G. Bloom, A. Sadeghi, A. Ibrahim, N. Salajageh, P. Griffioen, and B. Sinopoli, Special Session: The Future of IoT Security, in Embedded Systems Week, IEEE, 2018. doi:10.1109/EMSOFT.2018.8537206
-  F. Boeira, M. Asplund, and M. P. Barcellos, Vouch: A Secure Proof-of-Location Scheme for VANETs, in International Conference on Modeling, Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems (MSWiM), ACM, 2018. doi:10.1145/3242102.3242125 Available as PDF.
-  M. Asplund, Automatically Proving Correctness of Vehicle Coordination, ICT Express, 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.icte.2018.01.013 [PDF]
-  M. Asplund, J. Lövhall, and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, In-store payments using Bitcoin, in Blockchains and Smart Contracts workshop (BSC), IEEE, 2018. doi:10.1109/NTMS.2018.8328738 [PDF]
-  Felipe Boeira, Marinho P. Barcellos, Edison Pignaton de Freitas, Alexey Vinel, and Mikael Asplund Effects of Colluding Sybil Nodes in Message Falsification Attacks for Vehicular Platooning, in proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC), 2017. doi: 10.1109/VNC.2017.8275641 [PDF]
-  C.-Y. Lin, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and M. Asplund, Timing-based Anomaly Detection in SCADA networks, in Proceesings of 12th International Conference on Critical Information Infrastructures Security (CRITIS), Springer, 2017. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-99843-5_5. Available as PDF.
-  M.Asplund, J. Lövhall, E.Villani, Specification, Implementation and Verification of Dynamic Group Membership for Vehicle Coordination, in proceedings of the 22nd IEEE Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing (PRDC 2017) doi: 10.1109/PRDC.2017.57 [PDF]
-  Felipe Boeira, Marinho P. Barcellos, Edison Pignaton de Freitas, Mikael Asplund and Alexey Vinel, On the Impact of Sybil Attacks in Cooperative Driving Scenarios, in proceedings of IFIP Networking 2017 Conference and Workshops, 2017. doi:10.23919/IFIPNetworking.2017.8264890
... Show more2016
-  E. J. Vergara, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and M. Asplund, Fairness and Incentive Considerations in Energy Apportionment Policies in ACM Transactions on Modeling and Performance Evaluation of Computing Systems, volume 2 issue 1, 2016, doi:10.1145/2970816
-  M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Attitudes and perceptions of IoT security in critical societal services, IEEE Access journal, 2016. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2560919 [ PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  T. Hultman, A.Boudjadara, M.Asplund, Connectivity-optimal Shortest Paths Using Crowdsourced Data, 3rd International Workshop on Crowd Assisted Sensing, Pervasive Systems and Communications (CASPer), IEEE, 2016 doi:10.1109/PERCOMW.2016.7457106 [DiVA@LiU]
-  R. Udd, M. Asplund, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, M. Kazemtabrizi, and M. Ekstedt, Exploiting Bro for Intrusion Detection in a SCADA System, in Proceedings of the 2nd ACM Cyber-Physical System Security Workshop (CPSS), ACM, 2016. doi:10.1145/2899015.2899028 [ PDF, DiVA@LiU].
-  M. Asplund, Model-based Membership Verification in Vehicular Platoons, in Dependable Systems and Networks Workshop (DSN-W), on Safety and Security of Intelligent Vehicles (SSIV 2015), IEEE. doi: 10.1109/DSN-W.2015.21 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Advances in delay-tolerant networks (DTNs), Architecture and Enhanced Performance, ch. Rapid selection and dissemination of urgent messages over delay-tolerant networks (DTNs). Woodhead Publishing Series in Electronic and Optical Materials, Elsevier, 2015. doi:10.1533/9780857098467.2.187 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  E. J. Vergara, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and M. Asplund, Sharing the Cost of Lunch: Energy Apportionment Policies in Proceedings of the 11th ACM Symposium on QoS and Security for Wireless and Mobile Networks (Q2SWinet), 2015, ISBN: 978-1-4503-3757-1, doi: 10.1145/2815317.2815338. [DiVA@LiU]
-  A. P. Biazino, M. Asplund, E. J. Vergara, and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Cooperative Proxies: Optimally Trading Energy and Quality of Service in Mobile Devices, Computer Networks, Elsevier, 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.comnet.2014.10.013 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund, Poster: Securing Vehicular Platoon Membership, in Proceedings of IEEE Vehicular Networking Conference (VNC), IEEE, 2014. doi:10.1109/VNC.2014.7013324. [DiVA@LiU]
-  B. Viel and M. Asplund, Why is indoor localization still so hard?, in The 6th International Workshop on Information Quality and Quality of Service for Pervasive Computing, PERCOM Workshop, March 2014. doi: 10.1109/PerComW.2014.6815247 [DiVA@LiU]
-  S. Zhang, M. Asplund, V. Cahill Reliable Broadcast in Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks in Proceedings of The 9th IEEE International Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing Conference (IWCMC 2013), July 2013. doi: 10.1109/IWCMC.2013.6583802
-  M. Asplund, A. Manzoor, M. Bouroche, S. Clarke and V. Cahill, A Formal Approach to Autonomous Vehicle Coordination, in Proceedings of the 18th International Symposium on Formal Methods, Springer, August 2012. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-32759-9_8 [PDF, DiVA@LiU, BibTeX]
-  J. Cucurull, M. Asplund, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and T. Santoro, Surviving Attacks in Challenged Networks, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, 2012. doi: 10.1109/TDSC.2012.67 [PDF, DiVA@LiU, BibTeX]
-  M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Worst-case Latency of Broadcast in Intermittently Connected Networks, International Journal of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, 2012. doi: 10.1504/IJAHUC.2012.050281 [PDF, DiVA@LiU, BibTeX]
-  M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Analysing Delay-tolerant Networks with Correlated Mobility, in Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Ad-Hoc Networks and Wireless (ADHOC-NOW), Springer, July 2012. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-31638-8_7 [PDF, DiVA@LiU].
-  A. Manzoor, M. Asplund, M. Bourocue, S. Clarke and V. Cahill, Trust Evaluation for Participatory Sensing, in Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Systems: Computing, Networking and Services (MobiQuitous), December 2012. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-40238-8_15
-  E. J. Vergara, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, M. Asplund, and U. Zurutuza, Resource Footprint of a Manycast Protocol Implementation on Multiple Mobile Platforms, in The Fifth International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies, (NGMAST). , IEEE, 2011. doi: 10.1109/NGMAST.2011.36 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  J. Lundberg and M. Asplund, Communication Problems in Crisis Response, in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM), ISCRAM, 2011. [DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund, A. Thomasson, E. J. Vergara, and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Software-related Energy Footprint of a Wireless Broadband Module, in The 9th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MobiWac), 2011. doi: 10.1145/2069131.2069145 [PDF, DiVA@LiU].
-  J. Cucurull, M. Asplund, and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Anomaly detection and mitigation for disaster area networks, in 13th International Symposium on Recent Advances in Intrusion Detection, Springer Verlag, September 2010. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-15512-3_18 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund, T. de Lanerolle, C. Fei, P. Gautam, R. Morelli, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and G. Nykvist, Wireless Ad Hoc Dissemination for Search and Rescue, in 7th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, ISCRAM, May 2010. [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and K. Zagar, Middleware Extensions that Trade Consistency for Availability, Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience, vol. 21, pp. 1181--1203, June 2009. doi: 10.1002/cpe.1383 [PDF, DiVA@LiU, BibTeX]
-  M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, A Partition-tolerant Manycast Algorithm for Disaster Area Networks, in 28th International Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, IEEE, Sept. 2009. doi: 10.1109/SRDS.2009.16 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and J. Sigholm, Emerging Information Infrastructures: Cooperation in Disasters, in Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Critical Information Infrastructures Security (CRITIS'08), Oct. 2008. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-03552-4_23 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, S. Beyer and P. Galdamez Measuring Availability in Optimistic Partition-tolerant Systems with Data Constraints, in Proceedings of the 37th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), June 2007. doi: 10.1109/DSN.2007.62 [PDF, DiVA@LiU].
-  M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Post-Partition Reconciliation Protocols for Maintaining Consistency, in Proceedings of the 21st ACM/SIGAPP symposium on Applied computing, April 2006. doi: 10.1145/1141277.1141439 [PDF, DiVA@LiU]
-  M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Formalising Reconciliation in Partitionable Networks with Distributed Services, chapter in Rigorous Development of Complex Fault-Tolerant Systems, vol. 4157 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, ch. pp. 37--58. Springer-Verlag, 2006. doi: 10.1007/11916246_2 [PDF, DiVA@LiU, BibTeX]
- M. Asplund Disconnected Discoveries: Availability Studies in Partitioned Networks Doctoral thesis, Linköping University, 2010. URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-60553.
- M. Asplund Restoring Consistency after Network Partitions Licentiate thesis, Linköping University, 2007. URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-9913
- M. Asplund An optimising SMV to CLP(B) compiler Master's thesis, Linköping University, 2005. URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-2805.
- Mikael Asplund, Inger Erlander Klein, Ericka Johnson, Ola Leifler, Tea Nygren, Integrering av den sociala dimensionen i datautbildningar, 7:e Utvecklingskonferensen för Sveriges ingenjörsutbildningar, Luleå tekniska universitet, 2019
- M. Asplund, C. Forsell, Metoder för och effekter av att skapa ett inkluderande studentklimat, in Lärande i LTH, number 39, 2018
- M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Modelling Correlated Mobility arXiv preprint, arXiv:1409.6431, 2014.
- N. O'Hara, M. Slot, D. Marinescu, J. Curn, D. Yang, M. Asplund, M. Bouroche, S. Clarke, and V. Cahill MDDSVsim: An Integrated Traffic Simulation Platform for Autonomous Vehicle Research, Invited paper to The international workshop on Vehicular Traffic Management for Smart Cities (VTM), 2012
- M. Asplund, Kommunikation mot alla odds, SKEF News, issue 1, p.22, Mars 2011
- M. Asplund, T. de Lanerolle, C. Fei, P. Gautam, R. Morelli, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, and G. Nykvist, Wireless Ad Hoc Dissemination for Search and Rescue, Poster at First Annual Workshop on Pervasive Networks for Emergency Management (PerNem), April 2010.
- M.Asplund, S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Random Walk Gossip, in Proceedings of the NOrdic workshop and doctoral symposium on DEpendability and Security (NODES), 2009. [pdf].
- M. Asplund and S. Nadjm-Tehrani, Random walk gossip-based manycast with partition detection (fast abstract), in Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), IEEE Computer Society, June 2008.[PDF]
- S. Nadjm-Tehrani, M. Asplund and J. Ogniewski, Nya utmaningar i att få smårobotar att spela fotboll!, in Nya villkor för lärande och undervisning. 9:e Universitetspedagogiska konferensen vid Linköpings universitet 17 oktober 2005, 2006. Available as PDF.
Here are the research projects that I have participated in:
- Sustainable Energy with Adaptive Security (SEAS), 2021-2023, funded by Vinnova, principal investigator
- Security of autonomous vehicles from a societal and system perspective, 2019-2020, funded by Vinnova through Drive Sweden, principal investigator
- Secure Communication Mechanisms for Trustworthy Vehicular Coordination, 2018-ongoing, a CUGS funded project, principal investigator
- IoT för offentlig logistik, 2018-2020, Vinnova-funded project in collaboration with Östgötatrafiken (among others), co-applicant
- Verifiable real-time coordination for safe cooperative driving, 2014-ongoing, a CENIIT funded project, principal investigator
- Swedish national research Centre on Resilient Information and Control Systems (RICS), 2015-ongoing, funded by MSB, participant
- Critical societal functions and IoT: Securing data and services, 2015, funded by Vinnova, co-applicant
- Model-Driven Development of Smart Vehilces (MDDSV), project at Trinity College Dublin, participant
- Hastily Formed Networks with heterogeneous users (HFN), 2008-2011, participant
- Delay-tolerant networks: protocols, optimisation, and connectivity models, 2008-2011, funded by Swedish Research Council (VR), grant co-author and project participant
- Dependable Distributed Systems (DeDiSys), 2005-2007, participant
Doing a Master’s thesis on a research topic allows you to try new ideas, challenge your creativity and to get a taste of what research is all about. If things go well, you might also get the change to present your work at some international conference or workshop.
Below are some ideas for thesis work. If you are interested in one of these or have some ideas of your own, don't hesitate to write me an email or drop by my office. You can also look at the list of completed theses where I have been supervisor or examiner.
- Blockchain git
- AI-based risk analysis
- Simulating intelligent cooperating vehicles
Description (click to expand)
The purpose of this project is to investigate decentralized storage solutison that combine the benefits of decentralized versining (e.g. git) and blockchain technologies. The project will implement a distributed data structure that forms a directed acyclic graph (DAG), rather than a single chain. Using a DAG has previously been proposed in Tangle and ABC, but neither of those have really taken advantage of the real benefits provided by this structure. By providing a semantic similar to a git repository, it is actually possible to maintain multiple versions of the data at the same time. This enables unique possibilities such as going back to a previous state, maintaining parallel software versions (i.e., partial upgrades), and recovering from a large-scale attack. Note that the data structure itself is still immutable, going back in time does not mean removing data, only to change the “current branch pointer”. Another consequence of maintaining parallel states as a DAG rather than a chain is that total agreement (consensus) is not needed. The high cost of full consensus is well known in the literature, and while the probabilistic variant of consensus provided in early blockchains was a step away from strong agreement, the later permissioned blockchains have again opted for strict consensus protocols such as PBFT. In this approach each branch can decide its own rules for agreement, but crucially, the entire system does not need to agree on a common state. For efficiency and usability reasons this approach would require an automatic merge mechanism to avoid full divergence, a concept similar to state reconciliation.
Description (click to expand)
In this thesis project the idea is to incorporate available online information about new security risks (e.g. vulnerability databases) and integrate with information about a system configuration to provide useful risk assessments. Available data sources will be collected and analyzed to assess their potential to support automated risk analysis. Potential information sources include online databases, incident reporting organizations, and collections of news reports (e.g., this one). The purpose of data collection is to support automated analysis and machine learning. Therefore, the project will also involve training machine learning models to investigate the predictive power of the available data.
Description (click to expand)
Cooperative intelligent transportation systems are envisioned to improve road traffic efficiency, safety, and comfort for passengers. One of the applications currently under development is vehicular platooning. Vehicular platooning, sometimes referred to as a “road train”, is a group of vehicles that travel closely together under control algorithms that adjust the vehicle laterally and longitudinally. The algorithms leverage information shared through network protocols specially designed for vehicular environments such as IEEE 802.11p. In addition to lateral and longitudinal controllers, vehicles must employ a protocol to standardize message formats used for forming or disrupting platoons, for example. In Europe, a standardization effort called ENSEMBLE is currently ongoing with actors such as Volvo and Scania in Sweden. ENSEMBLE’s primary goal is to work towards a ‘multi-brand’ platooning solution in which communication is standardized and therefore trucks from multiple manufacturers can co-operate in platoons. The initial task in this Master Thesis Project is to model the current protocol proposal from ENSEMBLE in the simulation framework Plexe-Veins, which provides realistic mobility and network models of vehicular communication. The model will be used to study interesting aspects such as security of platoons (e.g. is it possible to attack it or how to make them more secure), safety, and efficiency (e.g. is there any circumstance in which the protocol overloads the data channel).
Interested? Send me an email!
Below are past and current students which I have (co-)supervised. If you are interested in doing a thesis, check out the student project ideas, or even better, come up with your own idea and send me an email.
- Felipe Boeira, main supervisor
- Sana Lin, co-supervisor
- Rodrigo Saar Moraes, co-supervisor
- Antonia Arvanitaki, co-supervisor (2015-2016)
- Ekhiotz Jon Vergara, co-supervisor, graduated 2016
- Marco Slot, co-supervisor during 2012, graduated 2014
- Shu Zhang, co-supervisor during 2012, gaduated 2015
- Felix Säfström, Bachelor thesis, started 2021
- Anton Andell, Oliver Johns, Master thesis, started 2021
- David Lantz, Master thesis, started 2021
- Nigel Cole, Master thesis, started 2021
- Erica Ahlqvist, Master thesis, started 2021
- Björn Möller Ehrnlund, Master thesis, started 2021
- Emma Algotsson, Master thesis, started 2021
- Jonatan Vilhelmsson, Bachelor thesis, started 2020
- Hanna Müller, Master thesis, started 2020
- Anton Hölscher, Master thesis, examiner, started 2019
-  Fredrik Adolfsson, A Model-Based Approach to Hands Overlay for Augmented Reality, Bachelor thesis, 2021, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-175190
-  Thelvar Guo, Daniel Herzegh, Availability of Smart Contracts that Rely on External Data. Master thesis, 2020, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-169358
-  Anton Landor, Master thesis, Runtime Monitoring on a Real-Time Embedded System, 2020, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-173343
-  Ammar Alderhally, Martin Sjödin Jonsson, Measuring and stimulatingphysical movement using interactive media, Master thesis, 2020, URI:urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-164295
-  Oskar Lind, Master thesis, Defending against denial of service attacks in ETSI ITS-G5 networks, Master thesis, examiner, 2020, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-166369
-  Bingyu Niu, Visualization of machine learning data for radio networks: A case study at Ericsson Bachelor thesis, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-167335
-  Erik Grundberg, Using gamification in a mobile application to treat children with obesity: Increasing the motivation to select healthy food Master thesis, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-167170
-  Fabian Petersen, Scheduling in a Blockchain, Master thesis, supervisor, 2020, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-164939
-  Simon Mehari, Low Latency Fog Computing Architecture for a Fire Safety Application, Master thesis, examiner, 2020, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-163888
-  Tobias Mellberg and Liam Vilhelmsson, Efficiency of a Scenario Editor for Connectivity Between Virtual Military Combat Systems, Bachelor thesis, examiner, 2019, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-162577
-  Gunnar Grimsdal and Christian Vestlund, Examining the Impact of Microarchitectural Attacks on Microkernels: a study of Meltdown and Spectre, Master thesis, examiner, 2019, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-159999
-  Niklas Hätty, Representing attacks in a cyber range,Master thesis, examiner, 2019, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-159838
-  Berta Serractanta, Bachelor thesis, co-supervisor, 2019
-  Benjamin Fischer, Vehicular Group Membership Resilient to Malicious Attacks, Bachelor thesis, co-supervisor, 2019, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-158086
-  Claes Lööf and Tobias Sund, Performance Evaluation of a Blockchain-based Traceability System: A Case Study at IKEA, Master thesis, examiner, 2019, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-156621
-  Theodor Flemming, Decentralized Identity Management for a Maritime Digital Infrastructure: With focus on usability and data integrity, Master thesis, examiner, 2019, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-155115
-  Victor Johansson and Alexander Vallén, Random testing with sanitizers to detect concurrency bugs in embedded avionics software, Bachelor thesis, examiner, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-153310
-  Sara Bergman, Permissioned Blockchains and Distributed Databases: A Performance Study, Master thesis, supervisor, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-152230
- Resulted in a paper in the journal of Concurrency and Computation, Practice and Experience 2019!
-  Erik Andersson, Ariyan Abdulla, Heuristiska algoritmer för schemaläggning i real-tidssystem med hänsyn till data beroenden,, Bachelor thesis, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-144794
-  Erik Boman, Converting an existing .NET Framework ground control software into a cross-platform application, Master thesis, supervisor, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-145868
-  Mohammad Khodari, Decentralized firmware attestation for in-vehicle networks, Master thesis, supervisor, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-148318
- Won the best IDA Master thesis award
- Resulted in a publication at ACM CPSS 2019
-  Edouard Capellier, Master thesis, examiner, 2018
-  Johan Levinsson, Implementation of a Water Flow Sensor Node and Energy Evaluation of 2G Transmission Strategies, Bachelor thesis, examiner, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-147052
-  Niklas Grundström, A Security Analysis of a Credit Card Payment System for Bitcoin Transactions, Bachelor thesis, examiner, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-148230
-  Anton Tengroth, Chi Vong, Evaluation of a synchronous leader-based group membership protocol, Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2018, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-144842
-  Jakob Lövhall, Analysis of a Bitcoin debit card: Design of a novel Bitcoin payment system, Master thesis, examiner 2017, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-139837
- Resulted in a paper at Blockchains and Smart Contracts workshop (BSC2018)
-  Alexander Ernfridsson, Sammansättning av ett privat moln som infrastruktur för utveckling, Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2017, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-142891
- Won the best IDA Bachelor thesis award!
-  Hampus Tjäder, End-to-end Security Enhancement of an IoT Platform Using Object Security, Master thesis, supervisor, 2017, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-138838
-  Martin Larsson, Anton Silfver, Signal-aware adaptive timeout in cellular networks: Analysing predictability of link failure in cellular networks based on network conditions, Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2017, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-138128
-  Per Gustavsson, Erica Gavefalk, Design and evaluation of a system that coordinate clients to use the same server, Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2017, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-138420
-  Markus Niemelä, Estimating Internet-scale Quality of Service Parameters for VoIP, Master thesis, supervisor, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-127360
-  Tobias Nilsson, Sårbarheterna med Bluetooth inom hälsotillämningar Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-132310
-  Johan Billman, Victor Hellström, Abusing Keep-Alive Forwarding to flood a VANET: When safety messages become a safety risk, Bachelor thesis, examiner, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-131967
-  Emil Berg, Ad-hoc Routing in Low Bandwidth Environments, Master thesis, supervisor, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-132194
-  Lisa Habbe, Matilda Söderholm, Estimating Time to Repair Failures in a Distributed System, Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-131847
-  Mattias Hellsing, Fabian Johannsen, Hadoop Read Performance During Datanode Crashes, Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-130466
-  Philip Montalvo, Albin Odervall, Design and Evaluation of a Reliable Group Communication Protocol Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-129978
-  Sebastian Karlsson, Christoffer Nilsson, Adaptive Checkpointing for Emergency Communication Systems Bachelor thesis, supervisor, 2016, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-130876
-  Tim Hultman, Signal-Aware Route Planning, Bachelor thesis, 2016, examiner, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-128101
- Resulted in a paper at the 3rd International Workshop on Crowd Assisted Sensing, Pervasive Systems and Communications (CASPer 2016), Percom workshop
- Won the best Bachelor thesis award at the Department of Computer and Information Science at LiU
- Antymos Dag, Autonomous indoor navigation system for mobile robots, Bachelor thesis 2016, examiner, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-129419
- Erik Brunnerby, Android Machine Interface: Integrating anAndroid Mobile Device into an Industrial Control System, Master thesis 2016, examiner, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-126952
-  Robert Udd, Anomaly Detection in SCADA Network Traffic, Master thesis 2015, supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-122680
- Resulted in a paper at the 2nd ACM Cyber-Physical System Security Workshop (CPSS) 2016
-  Marcus Högberg, A Cross-platform Picture Transfer Protocol for Linux-based Camera, Master thesis 2015, examiner, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-114188
-  Jonathan Karlsson Network protocol for distribution and handling of data from JAS 39 Gripen, Master thesis 2015, supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-121241
-  Patrick Persson, Development of a remote control application for a set-top box on a Windows 8 tablet PC, Bachelor thesis 2014, examiner, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-104834
-  Brieuc Viel, Adaptive Indoor Localization System for Android Smartphones, Master thesis (Erasmus program), examiner, 2013,
- resulted in a paper at The 6th International Workshop on Information Quality and Quality of Service for Pervasive Computing, PERCOM Workshop, March 2014
-  Clas Enkvist, Integrated modular avionics with virtualization, Master thesis, co-supervisor, 2013, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-98433
-  Eriks Zaharans, Indoor robot localization and collaboration, Master thesis 2013, co-supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-102604
-  Simon Arvidsson, Tobias Ekblom, Marknadsplatsapplikation för Android, Master thesis 2012, co-supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-77045
-  Magnus Gustafsson, Lightweight M2M Solution on Android Platform, Master thesis 2011, co-supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-70699
-  Anton Thomasson, Measuring energy consumption characteristics in mobile data communication, Bachelor thesis 2011, co-supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-71954
- resulted in a paper at The 9th ACM International Symposium on Mobility Management and Wireless Access (MobiWac), 2011.
-  Ekhiotz Jon Vergara, Implementation of a manycast protocol for intermittently connected mobile ad hoc networks in disaster areas, Master thesis 2010, co-supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-58603
- resulted in a paper at The Fifth International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies, (NGMAST) 2011, Ekhiotz is now also a PhD student in the lab with an excellent publication record
-  Fredrik Herbertsson, Implementation of a Delay-Tolerant RoutingProtocol in the Network Simulator NS-3, Master thesis 2010, co-supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-63754
-  Gustav Nykvist, Implementation of a Manycast Protocol in a Partitionable Mobile Ad hoc Network, Master thesis 2009, co-supervisor, URI: urn:nbn:se:liu:diva-20846
- Resulted in a poster at the First Annual Workshop on Pervasive Networks for Emergency Management (PerNem), April 2010, and a paper at 7th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, ISCRAM, May 2010.
... Show more
CoursesI'm currently teaching in the following courses:
- TDDB68/TDDE47 Concurrent programming and operating systems
- TDDC75 Discrete structures
- TDDE52 Programming Project with Open Source Code
- ETE352 Cybersecurity - Basic Concepts and Awareness
- TDDD39 Perspektiv på informationsteknologi
- TDDI07 Distributed embedded software and networks
- TDDD82 Project semester, systems software
- TDDE06 Large-Scale Software Development: Structures and Processes
- TDDE14 Large-Scale Software Development: Contributions and Evolution
- TDDI11 Embedded Software
- TDDD07 Real Time Systems
- TDDD36 Project: Secure Mobile Systems
- TDDC47 Real-Time and Concurrent Programming
- TTIT62 Realtidsprocesser och reglering
- TDDB53 Programmering i Ada
- TDDB47 Real Time Systems
- Jury member of the Swedish Young Scientist Exhibition 2021
- TPC member for SAC 2021
- General chair and program co-chair for Nordsec 2020
- Opponent for Björn Leander's Licenciate thesis
- TPC member for PIMRC20
- TPC member for SNCNW2020
- TPC member for CERTS2020
- TPC member for VTC2020
- TPC member for SAC2020
- Co-chair WBD2019
- Local organization chair and TPC member for CRITIS2019
- TPC member for Nordsec2019
- TPC member for MSWIM2019
... Show more
- Co-chair CERTS2019
- TPC member for EDCC 2019 student forum
- TPC member for WD19
- TPC member for FMAS2019
- TPC member for Nordsec2018
- Co-chair for WBD2018
- TPC member for VTC-fall 2018 (Vehicular communications track) in Chicago
- Co-chair for CERTS2018
- TPC member for IEEE ICC 2018 SAC Symposium Smart Cities Track
- TPC member for ISNCC2018
- TPC member for ICC2018
- TPC member for IoTBDS2018
- TPC member for ISC2-2017
- TPC member for FVAV2017
- TPC member for ISNCC2017
- TPC member for SMARTGREENS2017
- TPC member for IoTBDS2017
- TPC member for ISC2-2016
- TPC member for Nets4Cars2016
- TPC member for ISNCC2016
- TPC member for PerMoby2016
- TPC member for SustainIT2015
- TPC member for PerMoby2015
- TPC member for VTM2014
- TPC member for PerMoby2013
- TPC member for PIMRC2013
- TPC member for PIMRC2013
- TPC member for VTM2012
- TPC member for PerMoby2012